Chemotherapy: What to Expect and How to Cope
Chemotherapy is a common treatment option for cancer patients. It involves the use of powerful drugs to kill cancer cells and prevent them from spreading. While it can be an effective treatment, chemotherapy can also have side effects that can affect a patient’s quality of life. In this article, we will explore what chemotherapy is, what to expect during treatment, and how to cope with side effects.
What is chemotherapy?
- Chemotherapy is a type of cancer treatment that involves the use of drugs to kill cancer cells. The drugs can be given in different ways, such as by mouth or through an IV.
- It works by targeting rapidly dividing cells, which cancer cells are. However, it can also affect healthy cells in the body that divide quickly, such as those in the hair follicles, digestive tract, and bone marrow.
What to expect during chemotherapy treatment:
- Chemotherapy treatment is usually given in cycles, with each cycle consisting of a period of treatment followed by a period of rest.
- The length of each cycle can vary, but it usually lasts several weeks. During treatment, patients may experience a range of side effects, including nausea, vomiting, fatigue, hair loss, and an increased risk of infection.
- Patients may also experience emotional and psychological effects, such as anxiety and depression.
How to cope with chemotherapy side effects:
- Coping with chemotherapy side effects can be challenging, but there are several things patients can do to manage them.
- For example, eating small, frequent meals can help manage nausea and vomiting, while getting plenty of rest can help manage fatigue.
- Patients can also try complementary therapies, such as acupuncture and massage, to help manage side effects.
- It is also important to communicate with the healthcare team about any side effects, as they may be able to offer additional support and resources.
At MGM Cancer Institute, our team of experts provides comprehensive chemotherapy services to cancer patients. We understand that each patient’s journey is unique, and we work closely with them to develop a personalized treatment plan that addresses their specific needs. Our goal is to provide compassionate care and support to our patients throughout their treatment.
In conclusion, chemotherapy is a powerful cancer treatment that can be effective in killing cancer cells. However, it can also have side effects that can affect a patient’s quality of life. By understanding what to expect during treatment and how to cope with side effects, patients can better manage their treatment and improve their overall well-being. At MGM Cancer Institute, we are committed to providing our patients with the best possible care and support during their cancer journey. Consult with one of our oncologsits, call us at +91 44 4251 5151 to schedule an appointment.
Dr M A Raja
Senior Consultant – Medical Oncology.
Director of Oncology Services Chairman, Medical Advisory Board